Dec 17, 2014

Random thoughts on wardrobe

I wore a grey jumper yesterday, while it may seem like just another "work / office" color to some, but I hardly had anything in my closet that veers into grey. OK I have a coat that's charcoal grey, a cropped jumper that's charcoal grey, but not grey-grey if you know what I mean. 

And then it occurred to me that I should look for that kind of grey items to add into my wardrobe when replacing any items. I wear lots of bright colors - but mostly dark ones: burgundy, electric blue, neon pink, mustard yellow, and I wear quite a lot of blacks and blues in general. You'll be hard pressed to find anything in white or pastel (or greens and browns) in my wardrobe. 

The frugalista in me stayed away from white because it 
(1) attracts dirt; 
(2) easily turned yellow or grey if not maintained properly (it ages fast);
(3) my mom and I would have a hard time doing the laundry, to make sure nothing will stain the white-colored items when washing with other items;
(4) requires bleaching at times (see 1,2,3 above for why) and this means extra work;
(5) I am a klutz, often spilling soup and drinks and sauce...

Now back to that grey-grey sweater, it made me look both casual-appropriate and work-appropriate (where I work we don't have strict outfit codes).  It can be played up (black pants) or down (with jeans). Most importantly, that grey made everything look effortless, timeless and yet chic. With its ability to double as both office- and work-casual, low-key yet chic, not a hard color to mix with laundry, and it never goes out of style, what more can I ask? 

More greys, that is! 

If you think about it, a grey-grey purse or a grey pair of shoes would pair with just anything, be it light or dark/bold colors. *made mental note* Next time when I'm replacing stuff, I'll focus on that grey-grey color (not light grey nor charcoal grey though, it's the medium-toned).

5 comments:

  1. I love grey. five years ago, I bought my new bedspread for my bed and chose the color grey and someone told me that was a depressing color. But honestly, when I decorated the room with silvers and purples, and they saw it, they said it looked very regal and it does! Grey is just very sophisticated. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pairs with everything does it :) And it's timeless as well so nobody will be able to tell even if it's seen a few years' of (good) use!

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. Agree with you 100%. Grey is sophisticated and chic but can also look casual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And nobody can tell if it's getting "old" and "repeated" and such, because it's so subdued :D

      Delete
    2. oh i meant to say greys are one of the "frugal" colors LOL

      Delete