Dec 28, 2014

A chillaxing day

I know I shouldn't be complaining about having holidays, but I stayed home pretty much 3 out of 4 days and was kind of bored. Which got me thinking since when holidays must be related to shopping / going out / traveling? What's wrong with staying home?

I dragged myself to do a few things yesterday while at home: read quite a bit of the book I put on and off for a while; went for a jog (3 miles); trimmed my nails; cleaned some shoes; helped out mom with her groceries; washed some towels... 

The only thing I dreaded on was stitching my coat buttons! I had bad experience with stitching back buttons and they kept falling off not once, but twice afterwards (they were nowhere to be found of course...) and it felt like I wasted my time to do something which doesn't last. I told mom about this and said I'd rather go to the tailor's and have them stitched properly (maybe I wasn't doing it right) so that will save my time, and I don't have to worry about losing buttons everywhere! Deep down I know this kind of money shouldn't be spent (make do and mend with your own hands), but a part of me said it's just a couple dollars and it can save me time and effort from bobbling down my head with the stitching and buttons! Plus it may last longer if I take it to the tailor's and have them done properly...

Either way I'm going to ask her to show me how (she mends some simple stuff for me at times), or I'll have it done professionally. In the past I have made a mistake which took up a lot of my time and didn't yield good results! The coat can't wait any longer as the buttons are falling off...that happens with cheap coats that I bought. UGH.

Oh, and yesterday was a no-spend day as well ;-) gotta love it.

4 comments:

  1. It may be that you didn't secure your thread properly when you did the buttons last time. It could be an idea to have a look for some youtube tutorials on sewing buttons. I'm sure there are some. It will use up some of your free time and may teach you a new skill, which in the long run may save you more than a couple of dollars!
    I'm not trying to lecture you PJ. I'm just very much of the make do and mend mentality and much prefer to learn skills than to have to rely on somebody else whenever possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much appreciated January!

      You know what, my dad says the same to me (to look up online for how-tos), will do :)

      Delete
  2. I should come clean and admit I quite enjoy sewing... having spent the last couple of days quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's productive, creative past-time, just like one has lost oneself when immersed in doing something, I get what you mean! :-)

      Delete