Dec 21, 2014

2015 Housekeeping / Misc. decluttering goals

Housekeeping / Home / Decluttering goals:
  1. Bleach room twice a year
  2. Purge closet minimum once a year
  3. Sell old books, DVDs, CDs or donate them
  4. Practice minimalism: borrow, not buy
  5. Use up things, watch them die and go to the trash! Bottles and jars you know who you are
  6. Be resourceful: re-purpose things
  7. Practice "going without"
Goal (1) is self-explanatory, I do this whenever spring rolls around and in fall. This goes hand in hand with goal (2) together. 

I've asked a colleague at work about goal (3), basically the library doesn't take donated books anymore unless it's special collection or a limited edition thing. So I would either sell my pile at second-hand bookstores or donate them to school, or donate to charity. I need to call the bookstores or pop by to ask and see if they'll take any.

Goal (4): Stuff that I rarely use but wish to use one time or the other (like a cheese fondue), I'd ask my aunt if she has a fondue set to borrow. Same goes for travel books.

Goal (5): I intend to live by the generosity of my friends and refrain from buying beauty supplies as much as possible. There'll be some staples that needs to be replenished, those had to be planned sensibly.

Goal (6) targets at waste reduction. Whenever I bin something, think about ways to re-purpose it. The last time I was about to bin a pair of torn pantyhose, I googled and who would have thought that a pair of pantyhose have so many uses? Read HERE if you're interested.

Goal (7): Whenever I felt I "need" something, go through it a few times, when will I use it, how often will I use it and where I can find space to store it? And try to go without.

4 comments:

  1. I like these! You are going to have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement Pru - I hope we will both have a great year in 2015!

      Delete
  2. I like it! I've been doing #5 with all of our toiletries--when we run out of something, I don't immediately replace it. I've been pleasantly surprised at how many things we haven't replaced and don't miss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Go without" is easier than we thought!

      Delete