Dec 7, 2014

Doing the right thing

I changed my mind (sort of ate my words) - I declined the wedding banquet invitation. To be honest, my initial reply to her was I"d get back to her whether I can make it or not - so my answer now is a NO, and I told her I'm sorry I can't make it on such short notice.

Come to think of it, it's not just about the money. It's about sincerity. The colleague who was getting married invited me a few days ago, and her wedding is in early January. I mean hello, you don't decide to get married in a 5-star hotel suddenly, right? IF I"m one of the "valued" people in her life ,I"m saying IF, which I'm not, neither was she in my life (brutally honest I know), wouldn't it make sense to notify people months in advance? Not weeks. It's barely 3 weeks until her wedding here. Which makes you hard NOT to wonder whether she didn't have enough guests, but she booked a large venue and paid a large deposit, so she scrambled everyone to attend to glean money out from the guests who were not invited in the first round, but only much later, aka last week.

I know some people who handled this tactfully by asking first, then handing the invitation (if the reply was a yes). She didn't. I don't have obligation to "make up for" her lost guests who were unable to attend. In short, I felt a bit cheated. If she doesn't think of me as a valued guest (to ask me to save the date way before), why should I value her invitation and attend? I've done a few favors for her (unrelated to work / wedding), and this is how she treat me? Like an ATM of last resort or some kind?

Oh and by the way, I know *some* colleagues are going, but some are not. My supervisor was definitely not. Either way, I made a counter offer for her to make up for the absence, but she hasn't replied.

And I slept well at night.

-----------------------------------

Another good news is, I found myself less and less attracted to the thought of shopping now. Except I bought a comb /hair brush yesterday. I never had a comb / hair brush, or have ever bought one, because I felt I don't need one. Until lately my hair seems to be falling off more than before, I"m hoping this would help. It costed HK$150 and I would be able to use it everyday. This purchase would be practical and well-considered. I'm starting to like this way of considering a potential purchase, thinking about it back and forth, doing research, choosing the most suitable one, starting with the simple one! I've been going through my head that every purchase should be done the way this is :-)

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Good decision on the banquet. What you said is definitely true and I do know from former colleagues how much money is given at Chinese banquets. I also like the new analysis of purchases :-)
    ~ Pru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pru - I felt so good to get it off my chest too.

      Delete
  2. It is always such a relief when you do what you really want to do and make a decision that really suits you, that puts you first! No wonder you slept well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's either sleeping well at night or being frustrated for days (if i accepted the invitation and went), lol!

      Delete