Feb 6, 2015

January's Saving Rate

This is probably a bit late but who cares ;-)

I've just finished dabbling with the figures, the calculations are based on pre-tax income I made (after retirement compulsory contributions), any extras I made (via side-hustles, allowances, vouchers, birthday money). Expenditures include the regular ones that take place monthly, and yearly categories that I've budgeted for (e.g. new eye glasses, work-related expenses, money for grannies, tax) and money for folks (this amount is almost the same amount of my monthly budget, kinda huge).

*cues drumroll* So I managed to save 45.85% of income in January! Pre-tax.

For those who wonder why I kept my calculations pre-tax when calculating the savings rate...well, that's because I"m new to the tax system and there are a lot of factors that drastically changed the amount I was paying for before, and now. I cannot calculate exactly how many % of my monthly income will go to paying tax but all I can do, right now, was putting away enough money each month and build up a cushion. 

Right now I have a savings account, a checking account that includes tax and emergency fund (so 3 accounts). I also have a fixed deposit account tucked away in another bank, that also comes with a checking account which I do not use currently. I prefer to separate emergency fund from the tax reserve fund, and another account for yearly categories/replacements (stuff like dental checkups, and replacing electrical appliances in the household), savings account for savings, checking account for regular monthly expenditures. I'm thinking maybe I need more number of accounts than I thought I need. But that's for another day!

When looking at the 45.85%, I was thinking those extra income I earned really made a difference. Guess how the number will drop if I'm relying solely on one job??? That kinda worries me...

2 comments:

  1. Well done PJ! Very impressive :-)

    Because I'm nosy, will you do a post about the money you give the grannies (presumably these are your grandparents) and the folks? Also since you give to them now, I expect you will in the future. Have you factored that in to any future budgets when you move out (either on your own or if you get married)? You don't have to do a post on these questions, I'm just curious :-)

    ~ Pru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure I'll try to explain in a separate post! Definitely needs to continue giving them in future I think, but that amount could be more, or could be less I'm not sure yet (depends on whether I take on a mortgage or not).

      Delete