Feb 10, 2015

Career Talk

Over the past few days I've dabbled with the idea of taking up a post-grad degree. When I looked up the actual program that (1) could serve some purpose if I were able to have a career change, but (2) I don't have the slightest interest in the subject matter, the figure made my heart sank a bit. Getting past the cost factor, which I think was OK even though it exceeded my guesstimate, there are lots to think about.

The considerations were: interest, difficulty (course work), necessity/purpose, time and cost.

Personal interest was self-explanatory. It is also linked with difficulty, it's a degree which requires lots of readings and dare I say, exposure. There's also an exchange program linked in the degree but that's optional (seeing that some may have work constraints like I do), if they pick it there'll be additional costs there. As for necessity and purpose, well, if I've become a different person (in thinking), there might be good chance that I can get into a better position, but IT WILL BE / IT IS difficult to get in. There's no guarantee I can make it even after taking this degree. If I decided to take this degree, 2 years later I'd be facing an even more tricky situation: having spent time and money on the degree, should I go for it or not? 

I should probably add that the "better" position will mean a great change in my entire career lifespan. I would be working under (much) more stress, working more late, and be always, always on the go, like almost 24/7. And it's not just for a handful of years, it's the entire career span. Damned if you do, damned if you don't! There is absolutely nothing "better" about the better position except for the $$$. The goddamn $$$. More $$$ means more stress and responsibility, less freedom. Can I stand pressure? From my past experience, not very so. [Edited to add: There isn't any other benefits that I can identify to - those include getting to know the top tier seniors and networking and such - these don't add value / happiness to my life so I'm not counting it in the consideration of things.]

I think a post-grad degree might give me a sense of security in my current job, but does it have to be an over-achieving one? One that I need to pursue regardless of my interest in the subject? I doubt if I'd do well in a subject which I loathe. There are some happy mediums: subjects that I'm OK with but still not interested in, they cost cheaper and are linked to my job. On the other hand, the subjects I am interested in, they would not directly help my career either. But if I ever decided to take on a post-grad degree, shouldn't I pick something more multi-purpose (aka allowing me the chance to switch to an entire different position) besides adding qualification to my resume? Tough choice! 

The discussion went on with my dad and a relative of mine. The relative was of the opinion that I should go for it as I'm still young, if there's a time to take a chance, it's now. My dad, on the other hand said something more reflective - he said that a good career would follow me until 60 or 65, but a good family would follow me until the last day of my life. He was more of the opinion that I (a woman) should think about the future (what if) I decided to have children. He thinks I should choose whatever that makes me happy and comfortable. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! In some ways perhaps both your dad and your relative are correct. I'll toss another idea out, you may have more than one career during your life. While part of this may be cultural (i.e. what is accepted), but you may very well work in one industry for 10 years and then want to change. Perhaps taking classes in an area that interests you can help you bridge a connection to another industry,

    So much to think about! The important thing is that you are thinking. Just don't rush into anything quickly :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is, I've been sitting on it for too long lol - although my dad's words kind of astonished me since normally he's of the career climbing opinion vs. family-oriented one. They aren't mutually exclusive but just an easier way for me to put it!

      Delete