Sep 22, 2014

This week's update

We went out to watch the Maze Runner on Sunday in IMAX version, the ticket costs a whopping $117 after movie membership discount, and another $10 for online transaction fee. The tickets must be bought online because neither of us lives near an IMAX cinema, and the best seats would go quick if we buy before watching. I concur that the movie was rather lackluster because the plot is quite thin, but if it's a prequel it can be forgiven. The effects are OK to watch with IMAX but I certainly don't think it's a must/worth it to watch in IMAX. There are other movies I think will be worth doing so, like "Gravity" and "Oblivion". 

I went to the cinema early to fetch my membership card, I paid $100 online for a year's membership, comes with coupons and a 1000-point balance, which translates to 1 free movie ticket. There's another free ticket for birthday but they won't remind you - which sucks (I've missed it twice!), and this year I must remember to redeem it. Actually there's another movie card with another cinema that I must remember to redeem come birthday! Gone are the days of a student ticket which was $50-$60, nowadays a regular adult ticket costs +$80! Even more so if the movie runs long, watch in IMAX or 3D. I do think it's a good alternative to watch at home, but that would require consensus from my SO. 

On another note, I've been meaning to sort out my insurance matters since 2012 (yes it's not a typo!) and 2014 is almost coming to an end and I've still sorted out nothing. Damn procrastination! I'll be meeting up with an insurance agent towards the end of the week to sniff out some possible options. As I've started creating a budget plan since July, I've had this in mind, monthly payments would be done to contribute to the insurance plans. I don't expect to sort out everything in this meetup, but I'm hoping to jump on the bandwagon sooner than later. It's just "not in my blood" to be the last one lagging behind compared with others, I hate that feeling.

Regarding the magazine subscription renewal, I'll sort that one out this week or the next. The pound is not at its highest at the moment and I want to take advantage of that to do the renewal.

Whilst SO and I were checking out some trainer shoes, I tried some shorts on at the store. I've never had proper shorts for doing sports for years...the closest ones I have are from high school's physical class. Yep, and I jog......*hides in shame* Getting proper set of sports apparel has been on my list forever but I never got around to it, and it's good that I started looking finally. I don't believe in expensive sports clothing unless I'm a professional athlete. But I do think having a decent sports outfit would be part of the motivation to get me kicking in action. Shorts that don't reveal too much of thighs, and don't create a lot of noise when meshing together (jogging and such), with a nice hidden pocket will be nice. Similarly, a pair of tight fit pants would do the trick come winter. Ideally the pants should double its duty as a travel item as well. I just need to fish around the stores (or online) for the best deal now. 

My previous post mentioned about a friend who was badly injured, I paid a visit to her at her home on Saturday, brought her a box of chocolate, and she asked for some food, so I paid for her portion as well. I don't mind doing so at all. She wanted to pay me back, I said no. She'll primarily be stuck at home for the coming months to come, but she's lucky to be able to work at home with permission from her supervisor, so she still earns her salary and she goes back to her office once a week. There goes my thought about 'saving for a rainy day', and it struck me that having insurance that can cover some of the expenses is important. Learning first aid might help make a difference, I thought. Keeping yourself healthy and fit is very important, too.

2 comments:

  1. Hi PJ! Put a reminder in your iPhone (or other device) right now for those movie tix!!! Too much money to forget about - especially if you like going to the movies :-) ~ Pru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip - I did jot down on my schedule of that month!

      Delete