Sep 6, 2014

Dilemma

The first post here will speak of a dilemma. GREAT (not). 

September has traditionally been a rather spendy month for me, not due to "back to school" spendings but the following:

1) parents' birthdays are in September.

2) Mid-Autumn festival dinners (and its costs);

3) Money for Grannies - I try to give money to them whenever I meet them for dinner, usually family dinners during various festivities throughout the year. I'm not complaining, they looked after me when I was little, and now that they don't work anymore, it's only right that I give them back something. Since I don't live with them, money will always be the best way to their hearts.

However, this is no excuse to let this month's spending soar above my means. I treat my parents to dinner on their birthdays instead of buying them presents, if something caught my eye and is suitably priced, then I give, otherwise no presents. My mom has always been a fan of "food", aka buffet, it's no surprise to me that she wants to go have a nice buffet dinner for her birthday. I, on the other hand, hated buffet: it's a ridiculous way of spending money on excessive food which I cannot consume, and I don't like the feeling of "stuffing" food down the throat just because (i) there are plenty of choices; (ii) I paid a ridiculous amount for it. My brain would like to think that buffet is a first world's crime. I'd rather spend that amount of money eating exquisite cuisine. It's not only about the money (HK$500 per person at least, if you want a "decent" quality/range of food served), it's about the wastage, the calories and fat that I don't need!

The brain is torn at the moment - part of it is saying "It's mom's birthday and why not just spoil her for once", part of it is saying "No! It'll set a HK$2500 off from my bank". I don't know, really. We're talking about a party of 5 persons having the buffet this time, if I'm lucky, my aunt would shoulder some of the costs with me but I don't know yet. I even thought about just paying for 4 persons' while they eat at the hotel and I would just stay home, really I hate the idea of buffet so much.

Are you a fan of all-you-can-eat meals? What are your dilemmas when it comes to spending?

- PJ

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is a dilemma. 500HKD is about 65USD so that is a ton of money. But you have to remember this your mom's birthday so it's not really about you. If you can afford it and want to give her a gift that she wants, then you pay for and you go to the buffet. You sitting at home could ruin part of her birthday and you don't want that. Or you can find another suitable gift that she will like, that you feel good about giving and fits your budget.

    In theory, I like buffets because they provide you with a choice of food, of different cuisines. But people do tend to overeat and then feel sick afterwards. I sometimes want a little of this, a little of that (or a lot of this and a lot of that) so a buffet could be nice. Generally though, I go out to eat to be with family and friends and to let someone else do the dishes. It is rarely about the food. (And I haven't been to a buffet in years - not that common near me.)

    Start saving today for next September and earmark that money so it hurts less when you spend it :-)
    ~ Pru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip - i'll factor this into the budget from now on, i think i'll take her for a real buffet sometime soon as we didn't have a 'real' one last week :)

      Delete