Sep 8, 2014

Lottery anyone?

Today I decided not to bring my own lunch because the appetite had decided to go on strike due to some shock I've had yesterday (both from my home owning friend and a cluster of family troubles from a family gathering last night). So one of my colleagues suggested (quite insensitively, much to my dismay) that since no one has brought their lunch today why not we go out to a restaurant? I toyed with the idea and kept wondering if I should ditch them on midway saying I'll just buy takeaway (I hinted to them my appetite is not at its best today, and indeed it wasn't). We ended up queuing for a Japanese restaurant then later on we found ourselves seated in another restaurant serving Western style food. I had no problems with the food as I've tried this particular location before but I'm meh about paying more than I expected (takeaway vs. eat-in!). If you know me, I've always been a fan of some pre-planning action: meals, movies, dates, nights-out, etc. This isn't about inflexibility but a feeling of "in control" and "predictability".

For the most part I was pretty much silent in a party of 4, then one of them generously paid for all of us (being higher in position than the rest of us are). Then the same colleague who suggested to lunch out suggested we have a go in lottery. Oh man, where should I begin. To say I've been "coaxed" to contribute my share to a lottery ticket is more like it. We ended up buying 4 tickets and each of us paid HK$20. Then when I sat down and jot down my expenses, I realized in my monthly budget there was no room to wiggle in the $20!! (Of course.)

So my question is, do you guys set aside money for lottery? If so, how often?

-PJ

2 comments:

  1. I have an annual budget line item of about $500+ which can encompass a lot of items. I might put some money in for a lottery ticket, there might be a baby shower or a wedding gift I need to get. Or I might take my team out for lunch or buy a book for work. Or take a class.

    The reality is that there are always "work events" and it's better to just put in the $10 or $20 and move on. But it depends on what you want and where you want to go career-wise (and within the same company). Some people end up looking cheap based on how they react and that will ALWAYS be remembered. I would rather just say, "congratulations, here is a gift" or look like a "team player" and put in $10 for the sports pool.

    However, if you do not have it or really don't want to spend it that is okay. Sometimes it's best to get in front of it (speak with colleagues separately or plan the event yourself) so you are not caught unaware.
    ~ Pru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to the dilemma of "work-related" expenses! I've factored in "business lunches" into the monthly food budget and honestly I prefer to spend that money eating with friends instead of my colleagues (nothing wrong with them but we're of different mentality there on some topics). I agree work-related expenses will only climb higher as one progresses higher on the career ladder (more team lunches, etc), so it's definitely a must to include it in budget!

    ReplyDelete