Sep 8, 2014

Power wastage pet peeve

I've made a pledge to keep an eye on water and power usage after starting this blog (which was like, 2 days ago). Much to my horror, I woke up from heat and sweat with the AC on at 2am, discovering my mom virtually asleep on the sofa in the living room with the lights on, TV on, and a fan on!!! I'm not new to her "lifestyle" but really it does need some tinkering. I've made my point to her numerous occasions that:

1) if she has fallen asleep, it means she's sleepy! Sleepy = time for bed! 
2) why not sleep comfortably under a cover in the bed but on the sofa?
3) who would sleep with lights on? so uncomfortable!
4) that she's asleep and not watching the TV anymore, it's a waste of power
5) she should just switch everything off, return to her bedroom and sleep, instead of wasting energy/power and $ !!

Just want to highlight that no matter how many times I've put the above across to her, she would retain her style of living. This has been going on for years. More than a handful of YEARS. It dawned on me it might have something to do with her profession, her imagined reluctance to enter the bedroom (who knows), and inertia to change a habit. Anyhow, I think such a lifestyle isn't healthy anyway, let alone the electricity bill. This frustrates me to no end as I can't fathom why would anyone choose to sleep on such an environment instead of the comfortable bed. REALLY. CAN'T. UNDERSTAND. 

Do you have family members with annoying habits that gets on your nerves? Taking showers that are too long? Operating washing machines without a full load? How did you solve it and how did they respond?

- PJ

2 comments:

  1. We started really trying to conserve this month too so that we could see how low we could get our bill. My daughter likes to get up and turn on her light and keep it on until the morning. It's been driving me nuts! But she's two, so I let her off a little easy. We have our tv on a power bar now. It's really helped us to not turn it on unless we really want to watch something. Maybe you should put your tv and fan on a power bar with a timer, haha. Then once it's bedtime anything left on will be switched off automatically! Oh, btw, I like your blog template :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CheapMom! Fantastic idea re: power bar! I'd like to have that installed and ideally it should turn off the TV when my mom is no longer watching it, haha. I'd turn on the lights to sleep when I was small, too, mainly because I was afraid of darkness. Can the light be timed as well? Thanks for being the 3rd follower of the blog, i'll go follow yours too! :)

      Delete