Oct 29, 2014

The "Reset" button

I spoke of purging and cleaning the wardrobe, room, hanging up the curtains etc last week, I went through the process during the weekend and it was a nightmare. Every time I cleaned I am shock at the sheer amount of stuff I have, how much space they are taking up, how much effort they require to be cleaned regularly. This serves as a reminder every single time that I need to downsize, and stop bringing things home!

While I was cleaning, the picture became clear again: there's always something I don't wear in the closet, yet I can't bear to donate them. This alone is making the closet burst and finding clothes a difficult task. I found 2 long coats bought at the charity sale last year which were WAY TOO BIG for my built, the size made me look like a homeless person (the horror), I thought about getting them altered but the cost will definitely be higher than what I bought them for! So they are still sitting in the closet now, until I figure a way to make them wearable.

I put aside some unwanted clothing and sold them for $10 together with some old papers. I also picked up another $10 from the pavement the other day. Yay!

With that in mind, I probably will not go to the charity sale this weekend. If I do, it'll be helping my mom to carry her stuff, and I'll not spend a penny on any clothes. A lesson should be learned here: NEVER, ever buy clothes that don't fit (a bit small or a bit big), don't harbor the thought of I'd fit into them *someday*, I won't.

I've been doing some small reading ion ETFs and stocks, I really need to get my dough, albeit small, to start rolling. The question is where, and how. I was told it will be a lengthy journey for anyone who wants to learn about investment, hopefully I will get it right. My goal before the end of the year is to open an investment account and put in funds for some dividend-paying stocks and maybe a bit of ETFs / funds. 

The weekend getaway in November came at HK$200 below the expected amount, another thing to be happy about! I paid for it promptly but it'll technically be a November spend. On a health-related note, I need to get on with the jog this weekend to give November a healthy start.  I also have started thinking about the vacation plans for next year (2 trips), it'll be a financial strain for me (given my late start in budgeting) but thinking that for the next 2 years I won't be able to take any long leave from work, it'll be OK. Now all that's left to do is to tighten the belt and how to make it work, stick to it.

Here's to a good start for everyone in November!

2 comments:

  1. Hi PJ! Sounds like your November is going to be off to a good start. And I'm sure you can find a way to plan a budget holiday.

    Pru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pru! Still drawing up November goals...probably not much going on except to exercise tighter discipline (again) to reign in the expenses. Hope November will be a good month for us!

      Delete