Oct 1, 2014

Lucky Day!

Had a friend coming from UK this week and I took her and her friend out today. Due to the strikes in the city, we decided to venture to the islands. There was two kinds of ferry - the regular and the express, the express is double the price. Didn't take that long for us to decide which one we're taking since the express one won't come until half an hour later (too much wait time). When we returned to the city, there was a large queue for the express one. The regular one would come 45 minutes away so it'll be a long wait (plus we were all tired, sweaty), so we took the express!! Money to buy time. 

We bought bottled drinks, and a snack on a skewer for a light lunch on the island. No qualms on that since I had to eat lunch anyway, and there's no bloody way I'll chug along a bottle of water when I'm doing walking from my home to the pier (blame the bloody strike!) We had seafood dinner and my friend generously paid for me.

I mentioned previously I want to get jogging bottoms for winter season, well today is my lucky day. I waved my friend goodbye and then I passed by GAP. Vaguely remembering that I read someone mentioned that GAP makes decent gym attire, I entered the store. I tried on a pair of capris legging on sale. Then I remembered that GAP had those little lucky draw boxes they put at the entrance, where you can draw a card from the box and see what discount they give you for the purchase (even free purchase/item!). So I asked the SA at the fitting room whether she knows if the discount card applies to sale items, she said yes!! I went out and back into the store with a card drawn (30% off any purchase!), today is really my lucky day don't you think? :-)

Back I went to the gym attire area and gleaned to see if there's any styles that I'd also like to get, then I found the all black, long leggings that comes with a concealed zip pocket for keys at the back of the waist. Nice. I calculated the price before checking out and there were no nasty surprises (the discount applies to sale + regular items). I got 2 pairs of gym bottoms for HK$403, one capris and one long pants, not bad at all! A pair from Nike would have costed $350 after discount. Without the GAP discount card, I wouldn't be thinking of getting a second pair. Everybody likes a pleasant little surprise - be it 10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 30% off. And it doesn't hurt for the store to create a moment of suspense and excitement by giving away little discount cards in a sealed box for random draws. If you have nothing in mind before entering the store, then that could be a potential danger of spending. The discount cards are good for the whole week so one can always go home and sleep on it. I'm thinking that if it's true as they say (one free purchase/item per day in the lucky box I guess?), then it wouldn't harm to draw a card there whenever I go past the store, if I happen to draw that lucky card to win a free purchase, I will go home and sleep on the things I can get with the card.

I wouldn't say both the jog pants are perfect (ideally should come with drawstrings at the waist, more light-reflective patches for style, color-versatile) but I figured that for a starter, getting the right gear (read: not professional athlete) is important. More important is to know that I'm no professional athlete so unless I"m really an avid gymnastics fan, I'll probably do well in basic offerings from mainstream brands. I've done a bit of research lately on gym attire and some of them (Lululemon) could get really expensive (more so than Nike and Adidas!). I'm new to picking and wearing gym gear so I'll need a bit of time to experiment and later figure out what kind of designs/functions I need. So even though I haven't budgeted them in for October I'm happy to say that these would last for a while.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic savings! And you are right to take it slow and buy mainstream gym/running gear until you become more of an athlete. Buy what you need, not what the marketing/advertisers tell you to! ~ Pru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to start kicking away in the new pants :) btw if you're into walking/gym, there's one app that can track the miles/distance/calories while you walk/run! It comes in very handy for folks who live far from a proper gym (me).

      Delete
    2. What's more frugal than walking?! I was given a pair of lulu yoga pants as a gift when I was dating my husband. I've gotta admit that they've held up great and hug me best when I bend over. That being said, I'm banking on them lasting forever because I'll never pay to replace them! All my other work out gear is no name or clearance stuff and have served me just fine too over the years (I'm not a professional athlete either).

      Delete
    3. Here's to hoping your lulu pants last!! I would like to try them but maybe later because they cost double than that of Nike and Adidas *gasp*, and they don't have stores locally where I live (online only), good to know it lasts you so long :-) it's a good sign!

      Delete