Jul 5, 2015

Monthly Wrap-Up: June 2015

Yoohoo! Since I was away for most of the month, my savings rate pumped up to 55.33%! But I was spending money everyday when on vacation, so up to 30th June my NSDs for this year is 65. My goal is 150 days, well I'll try to make it happen! There's no granny money to be paid this month, nothing, nada, so my monthly contribution money went straight to its determined account, that was great.

So, the trip, it was a blast. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and am thinking of going back there again already (even though impossible in the near future). Now I know the freedom (also peril) of traveling and spending money every day. It was great to be able to forget most 'rules' I've set for myself, and get a treat/eat/try anything I want; but once I'm back home, old habits die hard! 

Other than the trip, nothing much has taken place this month, zero exercise, read 1 book (travel-related). I did try my best to settle the post-travel materials (wash and everything) into their respective place in the wardrobe. The investment earnings in the account seemed to be dropping this month was the general market wasn't doing very well, I'm a bit worried but think it should be OK as long as I'm holding onto them and not desperate to sell them at their lowest. I heard a good advice though - I get muddled when being a bit desperate with the "wealth creating wealth" mindset, the advice was that don't put all your money in it, even if you're making earnings! There's that temptation thinking that the more money you put in, you're maximizing the earnings, but it isn't always about earning, it's also about timing, being sensible, rational and cautious.

What's to come hither? I had a few people to see, hopefully some exercise when the temps are cooler (can the weather get any hotter?!), a wardrobe culling and maybe a shopping trip (see below) is in store in August? I'll get a tiny raise so that helps with the savings rate too. A couple meals would be done outside as well since you know, catching up...it's not a very frugal outlook come July and August. As I'm writing, I've taken advantage of a mid-year sale and stocked up on some personal care items. Again, not frugal at all! Need to put more effort tuning back to frugal mode!

Things on my mind to think about:

- from 2 haircuts per year I'm starting to think it'll be nice to have it 3 times a year, I felt "lighter" (literally the way your shoulder does) once I've had a trim. Also thinking about making it shorter;

- *maybe* taking up swimming (classes or not) again because my belly could use some fat-burn;

- need to get new swimsuit, swim cap, and goggles in that case;

- my wardrobe, badly needs an update I think?! Some of the items albeit I love them, is becoming tatty or just looks out of place? I felt a bit old-fashioned sometimes compared with what others are wearing - but tbh there's nothing wrong with the clothes I was wearing, no they aren't from the 90s! Don't know what was going on, my eyes or brain playing a trick on me?

- in relation to the previous point, perhaps I should consider going on a white/black/grey/navy color palette with my wardrobe so time and effort can be saved each morning, and each time doing laundry. Have to think more on this first, since I'm not ready to give up on colors!

Hope everyone will have a nice month ahead - I'll be slowly catching up with unread blog posts...but time for bed now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment