Jan 31, 2015

Monthly Wrap-Up: Jan 2015

I'm excited to be writing this. This year I'm really taking my finances seriously, like really seriously.

So how did I do in January? *crunches numbers*

I overspent HK$895.1. It was a major success for me already (don't judge). Due to various circumstances this month, I managed to stay on course in almost every category, until the last few days of the month completely blew it: (1) we dined out fancily, although the meals were very, very good; (2) I overspent in personal care items, this is my primary vice (again, don't judge).

In other aspects, I did OK, but definitely could do better. I exercised for 3-4x during first half of the month; achieved 13 NSDs, read a dozen pages of an unfinished book. The exercise and the book reading fell by the way side for some uncertain reasons, plus the flu bug has knocked me out for a week. I also couldn't go to bed by 2330 on most nights, definitely need to work on that.

I cooked noodles for simple meals at home vs. going out to eat, didn't buy clothes except for the gym bottom where I was given a gift card and needed to top up with cash. I made an extra 3k as well this month, with a little luck of course, and I felt grateful. Random supermarket trips had been reduced - my "frugal slips" were a couple boxes of butter shortbread(!!) on clearance. I did stock up on some breakfast items - granola bars, muffin cakes, also some noodles for home.

What can I say? I feel very confident about the no (unnecessary) clothes goal so far, by that I mean if some undergarments need to be replaced, I'd buy them. But I won't go out of the way to sneak in something. No. And I don't feel I'm missing anything.

I didn't spend all of the budgeted amount for groceries this month, which was a good thing. Fast forward to February, I decided that I won't be stocking up staples in the coming month, the focus will be on finishing things up. Speaking of which, my mom found an expired bag of oatmeal under the kitchen sink two weeks ago, it's in my office now. And while it's still looking good, no one has to know about it ;-) I'll bust it open on Monday. Think the bag will last me an entire month, and February is a short month with a couple public holidays in between!

I planned to stay home or do free stuff during the holidays. Don't get me started on V Day, I can't speak of the contempt associated with it. It's the worst time of the year to find somewhere to dine. I think DB and I would probably go to a local diner or something off the radar and away from crowds. If we are sharing a home, we would be staying home, not kidding!

Conclusion: Things went well and January had been a good month overall. Started out small in January, hence February will be all about staying on course and being more conscious of my spending! Only after then we can talk about adding more stuff on, right? Right?

Will catch up with some blog reading tomorrow! (Ooops it's past bed time already...)

2 comments:

  1. Hi PJ! You had a very good January! May February treat you well :-)
    ~ Pru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pru! Thank you and same to you :-)

      Delete