Jan 5, 2015

Everyday frugality

Happy new year everyone! 

The first week of the year was a rather eventful week, so far I've done the following on my to-do list:

- Read 50 pages of the said book read 30
- Jog 2x walked 1x, jogged 1x (but my calf starts to hurt after i'm done with 1.25 miles...had to switch to walking)
- See whether DB needs help with his house move I spent much of Saturday helping him and his mom to pack and move...
- Hand tiny gifts to DB's mom handed her some, still some more
- Pick up free ticket from cinema  done
- Track refunds x 2 done
- Make outfit plan on Sunday shamefully not yet...
- Ship 2 parcels to friends abroad not yet
- Make a list of items for blog sale not yet...but needs to be done soon
- Continue the glasses search looked at a few places, found nothing, the search continues

New year calls for a new way of doing things :-) I'm noting down the frugal things I did each day this week, whether they are on purpose or not! I doubt if I can come up with a frugal thing to do on a daily basis (dig hard and deep enough?), but so far so good. As long as frugality is practiced everyday, I'm contented.

1st Jan: Went for a walk at the park, healthy and free. What's better than the feeling of getting a head start on first day of the year (health goals)?

2nd Jan: Took home from work some leftover cakes and pastries. Dad was kind of excited about one of the pastries being his favourite. The pastries are individually wrapped so they can sit for a while, yum!

3rd Jan: Took my complimentary ticket from the cinema, picked up some beauty samples. Free of course! I re-gifted a purse to DB's mom, it was new but not my taste, she happily took it, win-win!

4th Jan: Can't really think of anything - except that all my spending were on food today.

5th Jan: I could have asked a colleague to share with me the Starbucks BOGOF offer which expires tomorrow, instead I made hot cocoa using what I have. Frankly speaking I just need a hot sweet beverage as I was feeling a bit nauseous whole day. Also I also picked up some free samples on the way home from a chain store, nothing beats beauty on the cheap (free)! Will be cooking up some instant noodles tonight for dinner (1 person serving) using what food we have. Oh and I received birthday money from my distant family, this will be counted as part of the extra income made this month. [Edit: I bought some butter shortbread, mincemeat tarts, and Hershey's nuggets on clearance! The chocolates would be gifted, the shortbread would be an indulgent treat. Talk about a frugal slip! Today is not a No Spend Day hence, but tomorrow will be!]

So far so good : ) I hope everyone's got a gentle but good start of the year.

3 comments:

  1. Reading 50 pages is a lot. What I do is just to say "read everyday". I don't even set a minimum number of pages (anymore). If you stick with it, motivation to read on follows automatically.
    I like your "frugal diary"! Check out gratitudelog.com, I think you're going to like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by klafatoa! With more interesting books there's no need to set a minimum number of pages and i'll just burn through the whole thing really quickly - the problem is with more "mundane" books and I want to finish them and possibly be rid of them :)

      Thanks for the site rec., checking it out now!

      Delete