Dec 30, 2015

2016 goals: Friends

After numerous toss and turn Sunday night (hence the expensive mistake on Monday), I briefly thought of some 2016 goals while still in consciousness.

I met a friend on Sunday, it has been 6 months since we saw each other. After catching up over a meal, we parted ways and she texted me "it felt really good to meet you. I enjoyed your sharing" with a smiley. Knowing her, I know she meant real. I had the same feeling too - it felt good to catch up and see her, particularly I was able to share what I know in the industry/hobbies that she's interested in (as a second career). I think I support whatever decision she is ultimately going to make (or not make).

And I admire her for her courage to find out what she likes, how she's going to endeavor to make something happen. I had those moments before (briefly), but have not gone around to the stage of trying it out. The look of wistfulness, the thought of other possibilities lying ahead, etc, all these seem to disappear the more I grow. Feelings that were once a part of your "daydreaming" now became 'unfamiliar', feelings that I would associate with a prerogative being young and carefree - have become wishful thinking.

There was something we had in common: we've both been "shielding" ourselves away from socializing/seeing anyone because of the fatigue we experienced in our day jobs. We both admitted that the Sunday night catch up was a pleasant surprise, and we had plans to meet again sometime soon (in a 3-6 months time frame). This gave me a pat on my back, in the sense "Yay! I'm still capable of making a good conversation", "Yay there's people who don't find  me boring". I'm learning to become a good listener, patiently wait for people to finish, and slow to make assumptions. (Did I say I'm type A?)

Most people tend to think others' jobs are better than theirs - certainly my job in their case, which is why I prefer not to talk about too much what I do, because it will sound bragging, or simply ungrateful. As in: "hey why are you whining when you are paid more than I was?". 

However with this friend on Sunday night, she totally understood. We both shared the same view: while we are paid reasonably (not a lot though), the stress level and the salary does correlate.  Even if the remuneration is good, it doesn't take away from the fact that a salary is supposedly not a 'shut-thou-up' money, we work hard to earn it, it's not like we sit and do nothing each day!

There is an ex-colleague who thinks: want to talk about working extra hours? Let's see who wins (longest hours). And I will say, sorry (not sorry!), but that's just WRONG. Extra hours is extra hours, it doesn't matter whether it's 30 mins or 3 hours. It certainly doesn't give him the right to dismiss the extra hours (that I worked) is not considered "extra" by any means (compared with his hours), and I'm not even interested in being the person who wins in having the longest hours. Sorry not in PJ's world :-)

Have you ever thought about one's friends change over with time? Once I heard someone said your friends/circle change every 7 years. I still haven't decided if it's an accurate description! But it makes you wonder once in a while...

Sometimes it's simple things like that makes you grateful in finding people who get what you mean. Without thinking in another way, might I add.

With that catch up being successful, I briefly had an idea of who I'll be meeting in 2016, and I'll be making a list. Will be taking the first step to initiate. Quantity is never the focus here, the goal is to make each meetup meaningful, by being "there" as a good listener.


(I am late this year in drawing up goals for 2016 - there might be separate posts to come, please bear with me - it's one of those things that you will 'get to you' when it does!)

2 comments:

  1. Oh this post really speaks to me! I'm glad you met up with your friend and had such a good conversation. Those are the friends that you don't need to see often but when you do, you are on the same page.

    I agree with the 7 years because (for a woman) I also thing it corresponds to major changes in her life (emotionally/mentally/physically). Here are the years where I think it is relevant:
    - 21 (in the U.S. you can legally drink and if you choose to, your social circle can expand quickly or decrease and you are now going to lots of different venues. Also this is the age where people are either in their last year of university or just finishing it)
    - 28 (you've settled down socially a bit and probably have your own smaller circle of friends. Some are starting to get married and have babies. You will probably have an idea of what you want to do with your career and are ready to climb the ladder if you so choose. Also hormones for women start changing - your "youthful" glow from 21 is not as bright.)
    - 35 (The next wave of women tend to have married and had babies if that's what they chose. Hormone wise you are definitely changing - face may start to seem a bit drier, possibly a gray hair or two. At this point if you have kids or are married, your social circle is probably made up more of people who are married with kids (a lot of times the parents of your kids' friends since you see them at school etc.). You socialize less after work because of home obligations. But at work you have a solid position and are ready to start performing really well and getting promotions.)
    - 42 (Hormone-wise you may be in perimenopause, less of a chance of pregnancy. Depending on when you got married and how things worked out, there will start to be some divorces in your social circle which has the potential to switch up your friends...)

    And so on :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pru! omg the 42 year mark description i've never quite imagined how it would be, now it makes sense. The 28 year mark is so so true. I think I feel hair thinning already...

      Happy 2016 to you!

      Delete