Mar 7, 2015

Follow up on February's monthly Wrap-Up

I'm hoping as I write this, I'd be able to hop back on the blogging bandwagon. During the 1 week break, I still read and went through blog posts of those I follow, making a comment or two; but now I'd like to sit down and dig further into the nitty gritty of the February spending.

Here's some figures:
Jan 2015 - overspent budget by HK$813
Feb 2015 - overspent budget by HK$861

The 'slips' in February included the following:

- falling for ready-meal ("just add water") packs of flavored oatmeal, I bought 2, each costs $4.x serves 1 per meal. The slip? I could have bought 1kg of Museli or oatmeal for $30! Not in individual serving and is best accompanied by milk, but still, I loathe to pay more than acceptable just for "convenience"

- I spent quite a lot on gifts in February, even though I said no rather strictly when it comes to gift in my yearly laid out goals, and subsequently I had to spend on shipping it to a friend as well

- I made redundant trips to supermarket and got beverage sachets on clearance. Note to self: Saving money is NOT SPENDING IT in the first place, money is not saved even if you buy things with a yellow label

- I bought a perfume, a scent that I love which was discontinued, I searched high and low (refusing to pay full price), and finally found it on A**zon

- I bought snacks (chips, drinks) for the office, could have saved that money instead, and save myself some waist room

- I overspent in beauty category the most, it's my vice and I knew it, trying hard to tone down on this area

I did well with the no shoes/bags/clothes ban though! I only bought a pair of footsies (socks) in February as my old ones were slipping down as I walk.

The doctor I had been visiting has increased their fees so it's crap news, but I'd have to stick with it and scrimp elsewhere. Furthermore I had the habit of putting a cereal bar (or leftover dried fruits and nuts) in my bag if I hang out by myself during much of the day, it helps to cut down on the "hunger" spending and avoid to eat out. There's also the plus when I'm hungry, I eat everything, including the dried apricots that I've been shunning away from for months, helps to cut down food waste. 

Before you ask, YES, I finished up that bag of sucker (will not repurchase)! 

3 comments:

  1. having snacks on hand though does prevent you from buying more expensive snacks through the day and what you had on hand was healthy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Gill! I try to always keep some nuts or a granola bar on hand and eat it in the late afternoon or on my commute home.

    ReplyDelete