Mar 21, 2015

Aloha, spring

In this corner of the earth, Spring is finally here. With temperatures going over teens, many are losing their tights/leggings. I am terribly afraid of coldness and easily getting sick, hence have not ditched leggings yet (don't worry I wear a dress over it). 

However the warmth and heat in the air got me to thinking the time I survived solely on dresses and skirts, aka summer. It seemed like a year ago while in fact was just 6-9 months at most. The feel of sunshine on my arms, the sweat (not pretty) but most of all - the feeling of freedom. It seemed like I've been living under a shell for too long, that I forgot how it was to live the spontaneous life (read: careless/mindless about money).

While I have my vice (perfume and beauty stuff), and everyone's got their vice too; it shocked me to hear what some of my coworkers say / do. They have shellac / gel nails / manicure every 7-10 days (shocker to me! I hardly never do my nails), one of them even said she has "seasonal shoes", meaning the shoes (not cheap but not too expensive) will last through 3-4 months of wear and will be tossed. It might shock you to know that I used to think exactly like that person did about shoes, when I bought shoes made of fabric: the dirt, dust and sweat (TMI) just ruined the shoes after intensive wear for 3-4 months, they just look tatty and can't be worn any longer. This perception of shoes changed right after I encountered my first plastic pair of flats, they last and last and last. Best of all, they are more washable than fabric counterparts, if not completely washable in every part! It's a slow lesson I learned from the past year - that fast fashion is probably not good for my new found frugality, nor for the planet. 

2 comments:

  1. I think I definitely have things that only last 3-4 months and yes they are summer items. I wonder if because of the material (as you noted) in the sense that it tends to be thinner because of the heat and just doesn't last long. But conversely, I would expect that items purchased in places that are hot most of the year are better quality. If any of that makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I know what you mean Pru! I'd like to imagine that's true, but it's all the same everywhere :-*

      Delete