Nov 27, 2014

A home is a wonderful thing

By that I don't only mean owning a home is a wonderful thing (mortgage aside), but when life gets tough, I can't wait to dash home after work and wait for dinner. I'm very grateful for my parents who never fail to put food on the table. There's absolutely no place I want to be except home, after work. All the chaos and hustle bustle out there just don't compete. The older I grow, the less I appreciate crowds and noise. 

My colleague seems to be getting worse, and he IS still coughing frequently next to me. My symptoms are slowly improving, I will make another trip to the doctor's tomorrow to get rid of the bug completely. I gave up a free movie night yesterday because the show time was rather late and I don't want to lose any sleep. I've learned in recent years: nothing is worth losing sleep for!

Some highlight of this week: I bought a body pocket (lingerie-like) for traveling in June and the zipper broke when I busted it out to use in my weekend getaway early this month. I was kinda disappointed to be "stood up" during the morning when I'm about to leave the house! I used it to keep my travel documents, cards and money safe under my T-shirt. It was not cheap, but it wasn't expensive either, but it shouldn't break after my 2-week trip to the US! Now, imagine if it broke during the middle of the trip? It'll be a nightmare. Now, I wrote to the manufacturer (not the seller - I got it at some fancy grocery store that has a nice selection of travel accessories) last Saturday, someone called me yesterday and said even though the product is not bought via their retail store (vs some distributor where I bought from), they are fine with taking up this case. I sent them pictures of the broken zipper. And to follow-up, they asked if I'd like a replacement or a discount in future when shopping at their store. I think I will choose the latter as I'm quite sure the pocket will break the same way it did, and other "styles" available are not that discreet (the straps are not lingerie-like so it's obvious even after putting clothes on).

A little lesson learned here is ALWAYS, ALWAYS keep the receipt no matter where you bought at. Buying directly from the manufacturer/producer instead of some distributor store will probably give you better warranty and after-sale service. I don't know why it took me so long to realize that sometimes convenience does take away some intangible benefits.

[Edit: I told them I'd take the discount and it's a mere 10% off the next purchase, expiring end of this year *sad* I might go and take a look and perhaps contemplate on a travel multi-national adaptor/plug. Or something else, or maybe nothing at all. It all depends on when I will feel like heading to the crowded store...]

Now let's revisit the weekly goals:

- Return merchandise to 2 retailers, obtain proof of postage for reimbursement
- Visit to the doc tomorrow Done, but another visit to doc tomorrow is needed
- Call up the clinic where I had blood test last week to see if the results came yet The results said negative.
- Track recent purchases with cashback site (after these are done, this will be the end of the online madness)
- Track cash out amount from cashback site
- Donate purged clothing items during weekend
- Fix dinner dates with a school friend who lives nearby Next Monday, I talked her into trying a restaurant that has a BOGOF offer, looking forward to it! This place is near where we both live so I did my best to make dining-out frugal!
- Go for a walk at the park
- Fix brunch date with a uni friend, fix a tea session with a guy friend on the same day, possibly dinner same night with one close relative (Squeezed onto the same day as another activity, see below. I'm going to forgo the rest of the dinner thing)
- Check with a uni friend to see how her house moving is going
- Contact a childhood friend to see how her leg is healing
- Consolidate a group order (list of items with specifics) for friends and arrange the money transfer
- Fix a day out with friend to go clothes shopping (I will abstain from this) I managed to squeeze this in after the brunch date with uni friend! So I don't have to spend extra day out and extra commute costs! Win-win!
- Apply hand cream before bed every night -- I do this almost everyday but not quite there yet. My finger just had a knife cut yesterday (slicing lemons! in the morning! without glasses on! the knife slipped.) and a little inflammation going on with my pinky. Not the greatest time, but I'll do what I can do.
- Apply body lotion/oil after shower every night -- 50/50. Mainly because the weather gets warmer this week, but it'll get much cooler next!
- Top-up transport stored-value card for next month's commute

No comments:

Post a Comment